Sunday 12 June 2011

On going dental saga.....................................

I have been in pain since having my tooth extracted on Thursday morning. My face is swollen and my mouth sore. There is also something hanging from the socket. Early this morning I phoned NHS 24. They arranged for me to see a dentist, so at 10.15am I was sitting in another dentist waiting room up at the hospital.
The dentist said I had quite a bad infection and the wound wasn't healing properly. She asked if I got antibiotics from my own dentist when I got the tooth extracted. I said no. I told her about the pain I felt as the tooth was being pulled, she said it was because the infection was deep rooted that I felt it. She said I had the infection before the extraction, so can only think that it started when my dentist put in the temporary filling 3 weeks ago. I said I didn't feel any discomfort while the temporary filling was in and she said you don't often feel it. I asked what the white thing was that was hanging down and she said it was the infection!!!

She cleaned and irrigated the site, then packed it with an antiseptic dressing. She gave me a prescription for antibiotic and a mouthwash. Thank goodness prescriptions are free here in Scotland. Two visits to the dentist, two payments!!

Hopefully once the antibiotics kick in the pain and swelling will start to go. Not too long I hope.

I have to make an appointment to see my own dentist in a week to check that it is healing up ok.

Here's hoping...............

Maybe I will get a full nights sleep now...............

No comments: